Peripheral ModelBy: System Administrator On: 2013-05-16 07:21 (14639 Reads)
North American urban areas follow what Chauncey Harris (creator of the multiple nuclei model) calls the peripheral model. According to the peripheral model, an urban area consists of an inner city surrounded by large suburban residential and business areas tied together by a beltway or ring road.
- More recent idea and car dependent
- Goes with the development of sprawl
- Decentralization of the CBD
- Created by Chauncy Harris who made the Multiple Nuclei model with Ullman so it goes with the ideas in that model and simply adds on the idea of a ring highway and the idea that the suburbs surround the city (development of the periphery)
- Also uses the idea of Edge cities surrounding the central city